Saturday, March 23, 2013

March 23: Love that Restores


by Marissa Danney

The psalms are rich prayers. But, with time, they often lose their meaning. The language is outdated, or we’ve heard them too many times. Yet, praying with the psalms slowly reveals that these ancient prayers continue to speak to our stories.
Here is the juxtaposition of the story of the raising of Lazarus from John 11:32-44, and Psalm 31. Listen to how these prayers come to life in the context of this story.


When Mary came where Jesus was and saw him, she knelt at his feet and said to him, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”

Psalm 31:1  In you, O LORD, I seek refuge; do not let me ever be put to shame; in your righteousness deliver me.

When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who came with her also weeping, he was greatly disturbed in spirit and deeply moved.

Psalm 31:5 Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God.

He said, “Where have you laid him?” They said to him, “Lord, come and see.”

Psalm 31:2 Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily. Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me.

Jesus began to weep.

Psalm 31:9 Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am in distress; my eye wastes away from grief, my soul and body also.

So the Jews said, “See how he loved him!” But some of them said, “Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying?”

Psalm 31:13 For I hear the whispering of many — terror all around! — as they scheme together against me, as they plot to take my life.

Then Jesus, again greatly disturbed, came to the tomb. It was a cave, and a stone was lying against it. Jesus said, “Take away the stone.” Martha, the sister of the dead man, said to him, “Lord, already there is a stench because he has been dead for four days.”

Psalm 31:10 For my life is spent with sorrow, and my years with sighing; my strength fails because of my misery, and my bones waste away.

Jesus said to her, “Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?” So they took away the stone. And Jesus looked upwards and said, “Father, I thank you for having heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I have said this for the sake of the crowd standing here, so that they may believe that you sent me.”

Psalm 31:19 O how abundant is your goodness that you have laid up for those who fear you, and accomplished for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of everyone!

When he had said this, he cried with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” The dead man came out, his hands and feet bound with strips of cloth, and his face wrapped in a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Unbind him, and let him go.”

Psalm 31:3,4 You are indeed my rock and my fortress; for your name’s sake lead me and guide me, take me out of the net that is hidden for me, for you are my refuge. 


No comments:

Post a Comment