Monday, March 4, 2013

Mar. 4: Judging by Appearance




By Arden Ratcliff

JOHN 7:14-36
About the middle of the festival Jesus went up into the temple and began to teach. The Jews were astonished at it, saying, “How does this man have such learning, when he has never been taught?” Then Jesus answered them, “My teaching is not mine but his who sent me. Anyone who resolves to do the will of God will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own. Those who speak on their own seek their own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and there is nothing false in him.
“Did not Moses give you the law? Yet none of you keeps the law. Why are you looking for an opportunity to kill me?” The crowd answered, “You have a demon! Who is trying to kill you?” Jesus answered them, “I performed one work, and all of you are astonished. Moses gave you circumcision (it is, of course, not from Moses, but from the patriarchs), and you circumcise a man on the sabbath. If a man receives circumcision on the sabbath in order that the law of Moses may not be broken, are you angry with me because I healed a man’s whole body on the sabbath? Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
_______________________________________________

“Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”

That was the line that jumped out at me from the gospel reading above.  Cause, man, do I have the tendency to judge people by their appearance.

I see a girl walking down the street wearing leggings instead of pants?  I judge her for her bad fashion choice.  I see a guy smoking on the sidewalk?  I judge him for his unhealthy habit.  I hear someone swear loudly in a restaurant full of families and young children? I judge that person (and also probably glare at them).

I know nothing about these and yet I judge them based on a split-second glance in their direction.  I feel like we all are susceptible to this bad habit. 

For me, it’s even worse about matters surrounding faith and religious community.  I hear that a church down the street is doing something I wouldn’t enjoy?  I turn my nose up.  I hear that our small group is doing better than their small group?  I feel superior.  I judge others’ spiritual lives based on my own and what works for me. 

Jesus was constantly facing religious judgments like these.  The Pharisees were sure they knew exactly how one was supposed to worship God, and then Jesus would walk in and do something different.  And they would sneer, and condemn, and question his practices.

And what did he do?  Point out their own hypocrisy.  “Oh, you think I shouldn’t heal someone on the Sabbath?  But how about when you circumcise men on the Sabbath?  How is that different?”

I shudder to think at what Jesus would say to me.  Because I know that plenty of people could criticize my fashion choices.  And I’m a person who sometimes eats cookies for breakfast--- talk about an unhealthy decision!

When we judge someone based on their appearance alone, we’re writing off their entire personality.  We’re discounting the millions of things that makes them uniquely their own person, a child of God.

So before we judge that church down the street for their praise band, maybe we should take the time to actually get to know them, and try out their style of worship.  Before we judge someone on the street based on what they’re wearing, maybe we should try to strike up a conversation, and really see them.

As I head out into this third week of Lent, I’m going to strive not to judge others.  I hope you’ll join me.


No comments:

Post a Comment