Wednesday, March 13, 2013

March 13: Psalm 147 and thoughts on singing




By Arden Ratcliff

Psalm 147: 1-11
Praise the Lord!


How good it is to sing praises to our God;


   for he is gracious, and a song of praise is fitting. 


The Lord builds up Jerusalem;


   he gathers the outcasts of Israel. 


He heals the broken-hearted,


   and binds up their wounds. 


He determines the number of the stars;


   he gives to all of them their names. 


Great is our Lord, and abundant in power;


   his understanding is beyond measure. 


The Lord lifts up the downtrodden;


   he casts the wicked to the ground.

Sing to the Lord with thanksgiving;


   make melody to our God on the lyre. 


He covers the heavens with clouds,


   prepares rain for the earth,


   makes grass grow on the hills. 


He gives to the animals their food,


   and to the young ravens when they cry. 


His delight is not in the strength of the horse,


   nor his pleasure in the speed of a runner; 


but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him,


   in those who hope in his steadfast love.
_________________________________________ 

“How good it is to sing praises to our God!”

How good it is, indeed.  What is it about singing that engages our heads and our hearts and our spirits all at the same time?  Why is it that I feel that the best way for me to devote my whole self to God is not through prayer or affirmations or reading the Bible, but through song?

Well, there are probably a whole lot of studies out there that talk about how singing affects us, and if you know of any, be sure to send them my way.  What I do know is that singing affects my soul more than almost anything else. 

And there’s something about singing for me that makes it easier to praise God.  When I say, “Praise God!  Hallelujah!” it never feels quite as comfortable, or as full of praise, as it would if I were singing those same sentiments.

The hymn “How Can I Keep from Singing?” (one of my favorites) conveys these thoughts much better than I ever could.  When we sang this song in worship a few weeks ago, I could almost feel the praise and happiness radiating through my body. 

Since I was first introduced to this song through the version Enya recorded (embedded below), I was surprised to learn that it dates back to the 1860s. When the lyrics were first published, they were entitled “Always Rejoicing.”

What a delightful practice, to always be rejoicing.  That is my challenge to myself today, and I hope you’ll join me.  How can we go throughout the day with a mind constantly oriented toward praise?  Though earth’s lamentation cries all around us, how can we cling to our inward calm?  How can we rise above the tumult and strife that surrounds us?

By listening for God’s music that dwells in all of us.  By knowing that love is lord of heaven and earth.   By remembering how good it is to sing praises to God.

For if all of this is true, how can we keep from singing?


No comments:

Post a Comment